Grassroots Psychology was established in 2020 by founding Psychologist, Jessica Doak. Jess completed her Masters’ in Clinical Psychology at the University of the Sunshine Coast in 2018, and has since worked in various roles within public and private sectors, involving therapeutic intervention for children, teens, and older adults, risk assessment, and neuropsychological assessment. Jess has been employed by USC and Griffith University in various research, assessment, clinical, and academic capacities, and was a research consultant research consultant at the Mind and Neuroscience Thompson Institute
Areas of interest:
- Psychological & Cognitive Assessment
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)
- Chronic mental health, neurodegenerative, and developmental conditions
(e.g. ADHD, Bipolar Disorders, Schizophrenia, Dementia related illnesses)
- Depressive Disorders
- Equine and canine assisted interventions
- Functional Behaviour Analysis
Jess has always had a special interest in assessment, and enjoys working with people to help them to better understand the neuropsychological drivers of their behaviours and emotions, and how they can use their unique ways of thinking to live their life to the fullest. Jess has a warm and authentic therapeutic approach. She mostly works with older children and early adolescents, and middle age or older adults. Her therapy toolkit comprises of cognitive-behavioural, trauma-informed, somatic, and acceptance and mindfulness frameworks. Where appropriate, Jess incorporates into therapy the natural environment, arts and creative modes, and members from her group of four-legged co-facilitators.
- Australian Psychological Society (APS) full member
- Australian Clinical Psychology Association (ACPA) associate member
- Medicare service provider
- Public Health Network (PHN) Provider
- Trained in the diagnosis of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD):
- Certified PuP (Parents Under Pressure) therapist:
- Trained in Behavioural Analysis and Intervention (Institute for Applied Behaviour Analysis):
- Certified Equine Assisted Psychotherapist with the EP Institute:
- Enrolled in clinical therapy dog and handler training through Therapy Dogs Australia:
- Currently learning Auslan
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Doak, J., & Katsikitis, M. (2018). Terrorism catastrophization: An investigation of predicting and moderating factors. Journal of Theoretical Social Psychology, 2(1), 1-12.
- Doak, J., Katsikitis, M., Webster, H., & Wood, A. (2019). A fetal alcohol spectrum disorder diagnostic service and beyond: Outcomes for families. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 93, 103428.
- Webster, H., Doak, J., & Katzikitis, M. (2020). Community-based Child Development Service Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Assessment: A Retrospective Clinic Audit. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. doi:10.1111/jpc.14744
The Grassroots Psychology admin team consists of Carolyn, Jo, and Natalie. All of our administrators are highly experienced professionals who understand clients' needs for privacy, and are happy to assist with any enquiries you may have such as navigating the intake process, or booking and rescheduling appointments.
Nicola and Jadie provide care and support for the equine co-facilitators, so you may see them from time to time leading horses to and from sessions.